CREAMY ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
- 4 medium tomatoes (1lb), halved
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Sea salt
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon harissa * (see note below for alkaline version)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp dried cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- water as needed
- grape seed oil, as needed
- Heat oven to 400º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place halved tomatoes on baking sheet. Lightly coat with grapeseed oil, sprinkle with sea salt and dried oregano. Place in oven and roast for 40-45 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat grapeseed oil over medium heat. Add the onions and shallots, and sauté for about 5 minutes until onions have browned.
- Add the fresh thyme, coriander then stir in the roasted tomatoes, harissa, water and coconut milk. Stir to combine and bring to a near boil.
- Turn off burner and transfer the soup to a blender and puree for about 30-45 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour soup back into the pot, set over medium heat.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and bring to taste with sea salt. Heat for another 5 minutes.
- Sift spelt flour, cilantro leaves and sea salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and slowly pour in water, in small increments to create a smooth dough.
- Roll into a ball, coat with grapeseed oil and let sit covered for 15-30 minutes.
- When ready, break apart into 4 balls. Lightly flour dough and flatten with a rolling pin.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add flattened dough and let cook until lightly browned. Flip and let other side cook.
- Remove from heat, brush with grape seed oil. Repeat for remaining dough.
Tip: For an alkaline version of this recipe, I'd suggest replacing the Harissa with cayenne powder and tomato paste. Also add fresh squeezed juice of 1 key lime 5 minutes before shutting off burner.
Tip: Be sure to use a blender that's capable of handling hot liquids.